Thursday, April 26, 2007

I lost my mind!!

I love my job, don't get my wrong, but I did the worst thing yesterday! As some of you know, I teach high school freshmen. They can be trying at times, but yesterday was the day! One of my classes has a couple of kids in it that like to argue. It doesn't matter what I say in answer to what they do, they say they are not wrong and try to tell me I'm the one who is not seeing the truth. I tried to blow that one off and move on and thought I did. I guess that is what I get for thinking!! When my next class came in they must have been in the mood to play. Many times I have said that my classroom isn't a playground and that I don't see a slide or monkey bars around. Well, yesterday one came in and was running after another. I LOST MY MIND!!! I know, they are kids and will act like kids, but when are they expected to GROW UP??? Once I finished yelling quite loudly (my throat was hurting after that) I walked the office referral to the office. When I walked out of the room, there were several Seniors in the hall with mouths wide open. I felt bad, but is that what it takes some times? Is this what teaching is coming to? I know, students can be wild and trying this time of year, but where do we draw the line????

A few days later:
After I have had time to reflect on my actions of the day, I know I could have done things a bit differently. But hey, we are all here to learn right? I know next time what to do....hopefully there won't be a next time though!! :)

4 comments:

Shiann Metheny said...

It is so hard to keep your cool in situations like this. The best advice I ever had (but struggle wiht keeping) is to get quieter when the kids get crazier. I have seen others do it and have done it a few times. You know you'll make it! Love you!

Unknown said...

Holly--I find it best if I try not to take myself (or my students) too seriously at times. That makes me laugh it off and all of us remain calm and collected. I'm right there with you, though, on respect in the classroom. It can be soooo frustrating! I hope you finish your year out strong! Take care. We wish we were seeing you at the shower this weekend!

ldonaho said...

sounds like i misssed out on something!!! lol what period was it?? -lindsey

Jericha Karinn said...

mrs. curry i miss you so much!
i remember that day you telling us about that. you had to deal with a lot out of us this year and sometimes, it just feels a lot better to get it off your chest. i hope you felt much better afterwards!